Creating a Gmail account
The process of creating a Gmail account is not complicated at all. It can be done by even novice email users. All you need is a computer and a good internet connection to create a Gmail account.
- Visit the gmail.com website using your favorite web browser.
- This will take you to Gmail sign in page. Look for the ‘create an account’ option at the bottom of the page and choose that option.
- The Google account creation page will comprise of a detailed form where you need to fill all the fields to open a new Gmail account.
- The most important fields to enter in this form are your username and password.
- The other fields to fill up are your personal details like the first and last name, country, phone number, zip code, birthday details, and gender.
- Apart from this, you will be asked to provide your alternate email address, security question and answer and your phone number to make your information secure. By doing so, you can quickly have access to your account if you forgot your password or feel that you want to change your password.
- The final entry you make is the CAPTCHA code that you see on the screen. Once done, click on the next option and complete the formalities for setting up the Google account.
Sign in to Gmail
The following is the procedure to follow to get access to your Gmail inbox.
- Open a web browser window and type google.com in the address bar.
- You will be taken to the Google homepage.
- Look for the Gmail option in the top right corner of the page and click on it.
- You will be directed to the Gmail sign in page.
- A type box will be seen on this page where you should enter your username or your full email address. Once done, click on the next button.
- You will be taken to the password page with a type box to fill the password for the email address that you had earlier entered.
- Make sure that the computer’s caps lock button is in off mode before entering your password.
- Once you have entered the password, click on the sign-in option to get into the Gmail inbox.
If you are using your personal computer to access Gmail emails and no one else will be using it for other things, then you can very well opt for the ‘keep me signed in’ option that you see just below the password type field. Ticking the checkbox just before this option will activate the keep me signed in option. From the next time you visit www.gmail.comon your personal computer, you will be directly taken to your Gmail inbox page without needing to enter your Gmail login credentials.
Signing in with two-step verification
If you are using a shared computer to access your emails and are worried about security issues with regard to your Gmail account, then it is advised that you activate the two-step verification option when creating a Gmail account. The activation of the 2-step verification process is simple and by following the instructions that come up on the screen you can activate it easily.
The procedure to sign in with two-step verification is described below.
- Open your favorite web browser and type gmail.com.
- You will land in the Gmail sign in page. Enter your username in the type box and then click the next option.
- Now, you should enter your password in the type field and then click the enter button.
- Now, you will be asked to enter a six-digit code that you will receive on your mobile phone or your alternate email address, depending on the option that you have chosen when setting up the 2-step verification.
- The code will instantly come to your phone as soon as you make an attempt to sign in to Gmail. Enter the code in the respective box and click on the ‘verify’ button next to the type box to complete the Gmail sign in process through 2-step verification. Now, you will be directed to the Gmail inbox.
- You also can choose the option to ‘trust this computer’ when signing in with two-step verification and by doing so, you will not be asked to enter the code when you sign up from this computer. When you attempt to sign into Gmail from any other computer or device, you will instantly be asked to enter the six-digit code sent to your phone to get access to Gmail emails.
Setting up the phone to receive prompts
If you want to get prompts for the 2-step verification, you should follow the steps mentioned below to set up your phone. By doing so, you will be able to sign into Gmail through 2-step verification quickly than entering the code that you receive on your phone. In order prompt setup the phone, you should keep your phone close to you. Before you start the setup process, make sure that the phone you are using is a compatible one. A prompt for 2-step verification will be received on Android phones with updated Google Play Services. It is important to make sure that the 2-step verification option is turned on. If you have already setup the 2-step verification, then you can easily move on to setting the phone prompt. If not, you will have to setup the 2-step verification before setting up the phone prompt.
- Visit the 2-step verification settings of Google Account using your PC or tablet.
- You should first sign into Gmail or Google account to initiate the process.
- Look for the “Google prompt” and choose the Add phone option below it.
- You need to follow the guided instructions that come up on your screen to set up phone prompt option. It is important that you choose a suggested device when adding the phone.
- Once done, you will get a prompt from Google on your phone. Tap on the ‘yes’ option.
- After this, move on to the phone prompt setup page and choose the ‘Done’ option.
Now, when you attempt to sign in to your Gmail account, you will find a prompt “Trying to sign in?” on your phone.
Steps to sign in using phone prompt
- Visit the gmail.com and then sign in to your Gmail inbox like you normally do. You will get a reminder on your computer screen to check your phone to complete the sign in.
- Look at your phone and check for the “trying to sign in?” option sent to your phone by Gmail. Tap on the ‘yes’ button and now you complete the Gmail sign in process.
If you want to skip the prompt that you receive on trusted devices, then you should mark the device as a trusted one when you sign in using your computer or phone or tablet. To do so, you need to click on the “Don’t ask again on this computer” option on the sign in page. It has to be activated before you tap the prompt option on your phone.
Adding security key to Gmail account
The following is the process to follow to register for a security key for the 2-step verification for your Google account. This will help you to safely sign in to Gmail on any computer.
- Visit the ‘my account’ option on your Google account page and choose the ‘add a security key’ option to visit the page.
- If you have already inserted the Security key on your device, then remove it.
- First, you should click on the register button and then insert the security key in the USB port of your computer or laptop.
- You will get instructions on how to complete the adding of the security key and its registration.
Sign in with security key
The process to sign in with security key is very simple. You will have to visit the Google account and enter your login credentials like you do regularly to sign into a Gmail account. Once done, you will be prompted for the security key. You will have to insert the security key you have into a USB port on your computer to complete the sign in using the security key.
Gmail is one of the most popular email services offered on the internet. Gmail is offered by Google and offers its users up to 15GB of free storage space. This is more than enough for a lifetime for a user. Gmail offers plenty of features for its users and has been the forefront of the email services for over a decade now. If Gmail finds out that the message you receive is a malicious or a suspicious one, it will immediately send the message to the spam folder. If you have a Gmail email account, you can use the username and the password to access all the various services offered by Google like Google Play Store, Google Maps, YouTube, Google Drive, Google+, Google Hangouts, Google Search, and many more. If you do not have a Gmail account created, then you cannot login to Gmail inbox.